How to build a perfect website and blog
Okay, so this title is slightly misleading because there is no right answer. Lately, I have been making some updates to my website and reading a lot of recommendations from others on what makes a website good. In this process, I have come to the following conclusions.
1) You need to like your website – period. Make sure you feel good about how it looks. If it doesn’t get you excited, it won’t get anyone else excited.
2) If you don’t want to do something the way “everyone else does” then don’t. Many think you need to be like others, but in reality, you need to stand out just as much. Don’t be afraid to break the mold and do it your way.
3) You must have an opt-in! Whether you give something away (checklist, workbook, etc) or you just find a creative way to collect emails. You need to be collecting emails of your visitors and growing your list. (Note I will talk about why later)
4) You should be looking at what your competition is doing, regularly. Find a couple other businesses you believe in and see what they are doing. You don’t need to copy them, but be sure to take good notes. If this is the type of business you want to to be, they may have the type of website you want to have too.
5) Try a “start here” page that is different from your homepage but leads visitors to all the spots you want them to go.
6) You must have an about page! People what to know you, like you, trust you – they want to be your friend before they buy from you or listen to you. This is a chance to share a story and a bit about you and what you can do for them. I think there are bloggers that leave this part out – be sure you don’t miss this.
7) Have fun. A website is such an amazingly creative way to express yourself. Above all else have fun with it, and if you need support just hire an expert!
I recommend Charissa De Silva for website support.